Today we enjoyed the spring general conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was a great conference and I enjoyed many of the talks. Most impressive was our Prophet's impromptu expressions of love for his wife. He acknowledged he would likely get into trouble for speaking about her, but he chuckled and continued anyway.
I was drawn to the talks that centered around the family and the need to be involved with our children at home. A talk likely to 'go down in history' is Elder Holland's warning against pornography. It seems this topic has been addressed repeatedly over the past few years. But this time Elder Holland identified women are also struggling with the problem. A very kind word of advice was not to do anything we would not want our mothers (sisters, children etc) to know about.
Following conference, I changed the chanel to the Evening News. The leading story was in regard to Easter Services provided by the Pope of the Catholic church. Apparently, broadcasters felt the world should pay attention to the fact the pope did not mention reports regarding his involvement in a cover-up of child sexual abuse. Instead, his speech focused on Easter. (Well! Imagine that!)
The next item important for the world to know was the suicide bombing, which took place in Iraq, outside multiple embassies. Apparently two other attacks were prevented. The news program included aerial footage of the bombers driving to the gate of an embassy before detonating the bomb.
The feelings I had as conference ended took less than 5 minutes to destroy. My heart ached at the cruelty that exists across the world. As I thought of this, breaking news identified a 6+ earthquake had occurred in southern California. Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Extreme Weather conditions, Volcanoes and other natural disasters are currently occurring world wide. (I view this as the world groaning from the weight of sin that exists. It is crying for relief) Anyway~ I turned the news off and decided to write on the blog to share how easily opposition can bring our souls into despair.
When I logged onto the internet, the opening page identifies various news stories from across the world. The headlines pretty much reflected those reported on TV. Except for one. One headline said 9 miners were rescued from a mine after more than a week trapped beneath the ground. The photo included above shows ambulances lined up in response to signs of life from 150+ minors believed to be trapped.
This particular accident was similar to an acccident which took place the summer of 2002 at the Quecreek Mine in Pennsylvania. Miners had broken through the wall of an old mine which was filled with water. The result was a sudden flooding of the mine in which the minors were working. I remember remaining up late the night the minors in Pennsylvania were rescued. I remember my heart racing and my eyes filling with tears at the sight of the first miner emerging from the ground in a bright yellow cage. He was covered in so much coal he appeared to be a black man! The only thing really visible were the whites of his eyes! I had no connection to this man, but I remember crying as though I had been present during the occurrance of a miracle. In the aftermath, reflection of the rescuer workers indicate a miracle had indeed taken place, and the incident is sometimes referred to as the Quecreek Miracle.
In China, although more than 150 miners remain in the black hell below, there are nine men who have experienced a miracle. And the timing, at this Easter season is memorable in that, should the remaining lives be lost to the deep grave they worked in, the Lord has provided a way for their families to also experience a miracle. The miracle of the atonement, the miracle of the resurrection, and the miracle of temple covenants that lead to eternal families.
I have come full circle since pushing the 'on' button to the computer. I'm grateful for such reminders that the Lord is in control and mindful of his children, even me.

No comments:
Post a Comment