Monday, August 01, 2011

LADY BUG!!



Today is Lady Bug's Birthday!! So I have to write about her birth... Meredeth was conceived during a very frightening time in my life. My mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer just about the time I discovered I was expecting. Based on my previous pregnancies, I expected to fight nausea and vomiting throughout the entire pregnancy  but this did not happen. I was very tired at the beginning of the pregnancy but never vomited. And any nausea I experienced was controllable so I was able to travel back and forth between Cody, Wyoming and our home in Utah.

Despite our desires and multiple prayers, my mother passed away in June of 1989. Lady buG was born six weeks later!

Because I had an extreme history of Post-Partum Depression following the births of my previous babes, I was not sure I wanted to go through having another child. But when Cookie reached about three years old, and I felt I had achieved a more healthy body and mind, we decided we would let nature take its course. Since this was my third pregnancy, everyone bet it would be a boy this time. After all, after having two girls, one who looked like me and one who looked like her dad, what other option was there? But I always knew I would be the mother of girls, so I was thrilled when we found out toward the end of the pregnancy that it was indeed another baby girl!!

One week before her due date, I attended my regularly scheduled doctor appointment and the doctor suggested that I have my "membranes stripped." I had no idea what this meant. But he proceeded to do the procedure and informed me that if the baby and my body were ready, I should be in labor within the next 24 hours. Wow! That was kinda exciting to know I would be in labor before I even went into labor!

Really within an hour, I began to have contractions. I rested at home in the old red recliner and Cookie and Nanna watched TV with me. Contractions were coming regularly but not too strongly so I made it through the afternoon and evening. When it was time to go to the hospital, (I don't remember what time it was) we were told that I was progressing fine. Oh great. Might as well sit back because we know it takes my body about 24 hours to bump out a baby!!

My doctor came to visit me and discussed with me the plan to prevent moving into the post-partum depression again. The plan was to follow a regimen that is commonly used in England. It required an immediate injection of Progesterone at the delivery of the baby, and then a progesterone suppository every day for the first six weeks following delivery. Since I was the one that brought the study into my doctor's office, I was MORE than WILLING to be a guinea pig! Without my knowing about it, the doctor also requested that I receive a medication through my IV at the same time I determined I was ready for my epidural. Cool!  I was in my twenties and really felt like I knew what I was doing this time.

Right after I received my epidural (oh blessed relief!!) I became very drowsy and fell asleep. From this time right up to the delivery, I slept.  The nurses would come into my hospital room and check the well being of the baby as well as check my progression in labor. I slept right through this each time.

Just before 3:00 PM, I awoke and frantically sought help from the OSM ONE. He reassured me that a nurse had been in to check me just recently and that I could calm down. I probably looked like I awoke and didn't know what was happening? But I insisted that he seek a nurse because "something was happening!" As any experiences father should do, the OSM ONE called for a nurse.

The nurse came into the room and asked my hubby what was needed and he told her that I felt something was happening, She agreed to take a look and, low and behold!! I was complete and the baby was crowning!! She began to break apart the bed to prepare for delivery. My very fine doctor arrived and verified that "we" were ready to deliver this baby!! I do not recall pushing. So I would say maybe two or three pushes later, Lady Bug entered the world.

To my surprise, the doctor set the baby up on my tummy! I had seen this done in films but had never had it happen to me. But I blame that on the conditions that existed on my previous deliveries. Lady Bug looked exactly like her Grandmother who had left us only six weeks prior. Lady Bug had long, dark, curly hair that obviously belonged to grandma. (her older sisters were born with fuzz. One was light hair and the other was white!)  But not only did her hair remind us of my mother, the babe also had a little upturned nose and big eyes!

For the first time, I enjoyed my newborn when she was a newborn!! I was successful at nursing her beyond three weeks and she sucked her thumb, which allowed her to self soothe during the night as she got older. Lady Bug was a quiet baby and did not cry too often, but when she did I found it extremely annoying. She babbled a lot and was inquisitive, always wanted to touch and feel items around her. As she grew, she maintained her sweetness, and learned responsibility. Today, she is married, working and enjoying life as a poor, poor student!!

Happy Birthday Lady Bug!!

No comments:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy