I attended a movie over the weekend. The movie I chose was titled, Act of Valor and I left the theater humbled at what our military men and women accomplish without glamour. They are known only as "the Americans." No one is an outlier, but all have their assignments and serve each other in their callings.
The filming is something to behold as actual Navy Seals took part in the film. Their ability to 'act' was somewhat comical, but actually played into the reality of what we were exposed to. It was not until after I watched the film that I learned they had used live ammunition! It was not pretend when the director called "Action!" I encourage all of my family to see it, not because it is entertaining, but because it is enlightening.
I have recently felt overwhelmed at the circumstances existing in our world. The previous post regarding headlines is a small glimpse of the world surrounding my home. Although some of the headlines show national or worldwide concerns, I intentionally focused on headlines from my own neighborhood. All is Not Well in Zion. The little bubble that hovered over our county has been burst, and the evils of pride and selfishness appear all around. But after watching the film, I felt an increase in my sense of safety. I felt assured that there are those who live their lives full of valor. Who walk with their heads held higher because of common purpose. I wish I could have that feeling with me at all times. This Sister Hill Lecture, is meant to help encourage my children and my grandchildren to continue along the path of righteousness. Last evening I read again my patriarchal blessing, and as always happens when I do this, I was filled with increased appreciation, love and adoration for my husband and for my children. I am truly blessed.
A statement in my blessing tells me that I will live long enough to teach my children and even my grandchildren, "for every child is entitled to know their grandparents and take learning from them." For the first time in my life I contemplated this and the potential influence I might have on future generations!! I also looked behind me and recognize all that I missed from my own grandparents.
One of my favorite Bible stories is that of David and Goliath found in Samuel. We are told that Goliath had a helmet of brass upon his head and was armed with a coat of mail; had brass on his legs and between his shoulders. The staff of his spear was like a weaver’s beam and his spear’s head weighed six hundred shekels of iron. A shieldbearer went before him. For 40 days the giant taunted the army of Israel, yet no one could defeat Goliath.
David is described as a man of valor. The king placed upon the young shepherd his own armor, hoping to protect the lad from what appeared to be a healthy ego at having defeated lions and bears; but the giant from Gath was unlike any creature David had met before. When David agreed to meet the Philistine, he removed the King's armor and took only his staff along with five smooth stones from the brook.
When Goliath saw who the Israelites had sent to challenge him, he laughed and said: “Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.
Then said David to the Philistine, "Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied."
Goliath lunged toward the boy and David ran forward to meet him in battle. Then David, clothed only in the armor of God, withdrew one of the stones from his bag and, with his sling, shot it into the forehead of Goliath, an unprotected part of his body, and he fell dead. David then climbed upon the giant's prone body and used Goliath's own sword to take the giant's life.
In Spring's General Conference of 1979, President N. Eldon Tanner, First Counselor in the First Presidency told the Priesthood gathering "...the great unrest in the world today and the wars and rumors of wars are affecting us greatly; but as Paul says, our greatest and most deadly struggle will be “not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, [and] against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
David did not continue to wear the whole armor of God and he gave in to a common deception of the adversary. He took delight in looking at a woman, then he stole her for himself, and then sought to murder an innocent person as a great scam to cover his guilt. His weaknesses snowballed into events that proved larger than Goliath of Garth. Each of us also have weaknesses and the adversary continues to search for those areas where we have failed to seek the protection. Protection can be found by keeping the commandments and continuous prayer. And yet, as shown in the poster above, it is the David who ran toward Goliath that we love to teach to our children. It is much later when we become aware of how vulnerable David truly was. Perhaps his pride associated with slaying the lions, the bears, and the Giant was his true weakness. The apostle Paul gave a warning to the Ephesians, which remains applicable to us today; that we can only withstand the evils which surround us by putting on the whole armor of God.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.Act of Valor opened my eyes not only to the mortal dangers that exist in today's world (I am already too aware of them) but also to the great spiritual dangers that exist. It does not spoil the plot to let you know that a character depicting Everyman's son, brother, father, and spouse does not safely return from their assignment. Yet, the battle rages on.
“So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.”
In a devotional address given at Brigham Young University on 2 March 1999 Elder Jeffrey Holland said "we cannot sign on for a battle of such eternal significance and everlasting consequence without knowing it will be a fight—a good fight and a winning fight, but a fight nevertheless."
Elder Holland spoke of Moses: After Moses had been taken to the Mount and stood face to face with God and all his glory, having been shown all creation, Satan had the nerve to claim that he was the only begotten and demanded that Moses worship him. 'But Moses retorted that he would not! Moses 1:12-16, 19-224
“Get thee hence, Satan; deceive me not.”“And now, when Moses had said these words, Satan cried with a loud voice, and ranted upon the earth, and commanded, saying: I am the Only Begotten, worship me.“And it came to pass that Moses began to fear exceedingly; and as he began to fear, he saw the bitterness of hell. Nevertheless, calling upon God [the very phrase used by Joseph Smith], he received strength, and he commanded, saying: Depart from me, Satan, for this one God only will I worship, which is the God of glory.“And now Satan began to tremble, and the earth shook. …“And it came to pass that Satan cried with a loud voice, with weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth; and he departed hence,”
To return again we can be sure, but always to be defeated by the God of glory—always. So today I pray that my children and my grandchildren will go forward each day, clothed in the armor of God. That they will look to Him for personal revelation, strength, and courage. That on days that are particularly hard, they will not give in, they will not withdraw in fear; but instead, they will feel the Lord's spirit burn within and answer the call, "who's on the Lord's side?" I pray that as promised, the Lord will go before their faces, to their right and to their left. That His spirit shall be in their hearts and His angels round about.
And I? I will be there with them. Reminding them to wear clean underwear.
No comments:
Post a Comment