Thursday, January 20, 2011

I AM MOM, HEAR ME ROAR!

Nun Tsk Tsk

I sometimes look like this!



At least this is how I felt trying to talk to teen daughters! They become defensive about every sentence that comes from my mouth. One evening I found Nanna crying in her room and asked what was wrong. She apparently had a very serious conversation with her handsome hunk during which he convinced her that I did not trust her. This upset Nanna and she then laid it on me. First, confusion set in because I wondered why my daughter and her steady beau were discussing me to begin with! In tears she asked me what she had ever done to make me lose my trust in her. What?!?

In return I asked her what I had done that made her think I didn't trust her! It turned out it was really about her guy and how he did not like the rules of my home. You see, Nanna had a curfew. In fact she had a different curfew for school nights and weekends. This apparently was foreign to her beau and he knew it was a 'trust issue.' Like I was really worried about Nanna?

Come on! It was the beau who was untrustworthy! Their relationship ended soon after.

Nanna and I had always had a great relationship! Ok. I lied. She hated me from the time she turned twelve and I turned into an alien monster...but...I always told the truth to my girls. I explained to Nanna that I am her mother, I have always been her mother, and I will continue to be her mother no matter what boy comes into her life. I remember telling her that no B-O-Y was going to come between us and I couldn't believe she was taking the trust issue so seriously! It was a weird conversation.

So, it turns out I have threatened every one of my sons-in-law with various forms of torture if they should break my daughters' heart. I wonder if they trust me to follow through?















No comments:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy