Thursday, November 17, 2011

I AM MORMON, HEAR ME ROAR!


I had an interesting chat with someone I don't know on "Facebook". It started when a friend of mine posted the following response about an evangelical pastor calling the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints a 'cult'. Here is the post:

Very interesting. Take a look.

religion.blogs.cnn.com
Editor’s note: Richard J. Mouw is President of Fuller Theological Seminary, an evangelical school in Pasadena, California. By Richard J. Mouw, Special to CNN Some prominent evangelical pastors have been telling their constituents not to support Mitt Romney’s bid for the presidential nomina...


  • I enjoyed this article. I was one of those taught that Mormonism is a cult. Apparently that was an extremist view of a belief system that has changed over time. For me, the last remaining vestige of the cult designation would be removed if I could join you in your celebration ceremonies. If I understand correctly, if my son married into a family of Book of Mormon followers, I could not attend the wedding ceremony.
    October 10 at 4:45pm ·

  •  I cannot join a Catholic priest or nun in their daily worship rituals either, but no one would classify Catholicism as a cult.
    October 11 at 12:25am ·

  • No, I am not a nun. And i don't want to say their daily prayers with them, nor stand beside them as they attend to their job. I'm just trying to find out if I could attend a wedding with your family in your place of worship if I am not Mormon.
    October 11 at 1:52pm ·

  • I was a little disappointed that my friend did not respond right away to the reactions of the post. I know she may have had to leave the computer and was not able to do anything right away, but I decided to respond to this person with my version of what would be an appropriate response. Although my friend ultimately responded and informed her friend about other church activities, along with the link to the Church's website, I felt it was important to answer the question myself. As a Mormon. I felt that if I was in this woman's position, I would want some straight talk. So this is the chat that took place:

  • Karen Hill Linda-There are many, many wonderful people--both members and nonmembers alike who would not be found worthy to enter the LDS temple. There are also people who lie their way into the temple which serves no other purpose than to deceive others. Very specific questions are asked of one seeking to enter the temple. To respond appropriately to those questions, one would be a baptized member, believe in a current prophet and the concept of continuing revelation, take care of their bodies by following scriptural insights, pay tithing, behave fairly in their interactions with others, and a few other questions. The LDS wedding ceremony is short, sweet and simple with the groom willingly accepting his bride and promising to follow God's Law. The bride also promises to give herself as a bride to the groom and to also follow God's Law as they go through the eternities together. No rings are exchanged during the ceremony as they are considered a worldly possession, however couples often step away from the alter and exchange rings before receiving the few guests they have invited. (only about 50 guests may fit in the small rooms set aside as sealing rooms) Even among family and friends, the couple would have to decide who to invite to the ceremony and who will join the wedding party at a reception usually held the same day.
    October 11 at 8:36pm ·

  • Karen Hill I think Linda's question is valid as I chose to marry in the temple and my parents were unable to attend. It is very distressing to those who are left out of this portion of what is a very exciting time. I felt similarly when I attended a special meeting with my friend who is a Jehovah Witnesses She told me not to partake of the bread and wine offered as a sacrament. The only people who actually take it are those identified as one of the Lord's 144,000 special witnesses. So out of respect for my friend's beliefs, I reverently passed the tray and goblet. If your son truly believed in the Gospel of Jesus Christ he would want to share all that he with you, so that you might also partake of the eternal blessings of the temple. It is OK if you were to choose not to believe but respect of his beliefs and love for his choice in a companion would benefit any relationship between a child and parent. Remember, just because one is baptised a "mormon" doesn't automatically make them eligible to enter the temple. There will be a large number of friends and family waiting outside for the bride and groom to appear as man and wife!
    October 11 at 8:47pm ·

  •  I like your explanations Karen.
    October 11 at 11:25pm ·

  • Thank you, Karen. A thoughtful response to a tough question. Now, I can think of many ways to celebrate a marriage that would not compromise the religious aspect of the union. Thanks again.
    October 12 at 8:24am ·

  • Karen Hill  I have five daughters, four were married in the LDSLDS reception is alcohol--because we believe it is harmful to the body and mind. Many receptions include the traditional dance between the bride and her father, in addition to a dance between the groom and his mother. Songs are not limited to hymns (goodness!) but you probably won't hear songs about one night stands, or killing cops, or 'born this way." (of course there are exceptions like my youngest who loves the Moulan Rouge songs! Some Mormons would die over this, but I just laughed!) The bride and groom still cut their cake and smash it into each other's face, the bride tosses her bouquet, and the groom removes the bride's garter before flicking it at his single friends! And of course someone inevitable marks up the couple's car to announce that they were "just married!" We've even had a little brother try to sneak into the get-away car, but the bride noticed before they got out of the parking lot!! So much fun!!
    October 12 at 1:56pm ·

  •  Love your descriptions of reception.
    October 12 at 2:06pm ·

  • Karen Hill oh, sorry. Four of my daughters have been to the temple but one has not. She is married to a man born in Lebanon who identifies his beliefs as Christian. This daughter does not follow all the requirements to enter the LDS temple but if she had the support of her husband, I believe she would. They are a great couple, and we love them in the same manner we love all of our children!
    October 12 at 2:07pm

  •  Great discussion everyone. Linda, I feel so bad that you felt that way about not being a part of our "celebrations". Part of the problem is that we live so far away. If we all lived closer, we would invite you to the children's baptism, the children's sunday school (aka Primary) program that they put on once a year where they sing and do a little program for everyone on a Sunday, talks given by my husband and self, potlucks, halloween parties, Christmas parites, homemaking (tonight they are teaching how to can chicken at home) and of course weddings. Karen Hill explained it very well when it comes to temple marriage sealing. When __________ was married, not all the family members were able to attend the actual sealing because of a temple recommend being required to attend (which is acquired by being a member of the LDS faith and keeping all the commandments). We had a wonderful family and close friends dinner the night before where we came together and got to know extended family on both sides. We ate, talked and told their "love story". People were encouraged to get up and make comments about how they know the bride and/or groom- basically anything they wanted to say- wish them luck, give advice etc. Even my sweet little Madelaine got up and tearfully told her older sister how much she was going to miss her. The next morning, we got up and went to the Timpanogos Temple and those of us who had recommends went inside for the short sealing ceremony. The rest waited in a waiting room and we all met out side for pictures. That night, we had a reception at one of our bigger churches called a "stake center" where we had lots of treats, talking and eating. There was a band if anyone wanted to dance. The bride and groom stand in a receiving line and greet all the guests (this can take a long time) so that they can say hi to all their guests. Kind of corny but sweet. I have some pictures on fb if you want to look. Regarding Mormons being a "cult", there is a great explanation of this debate on www.mormon.org. I found some things under FAQ. I do miss all my family back East and wish that we were all closer so that we could see each other more than once every few years! Maybe I can get my mom to get back there this summer!
There are so many misconceptions regarding the Church. Even amongst those who have been baptised and remain faithful. Too often, we expect everyone to believe and behave the same because we belong to the same church.  Because of the God Granted Gift of Choice and Agency, to become clones of each other would an affront to our Creator. Our Father in Heaven expects us to make choices and in doing so, we are challenged to make a righteous judgement. Many refuse to shop on Sunday, Many refuse to view "R" rated movies, Many refuse to partake of Coca-Cola. Whether they are right or wrong is based on their understanding of what would be right in that situation. There comes a time in every person's life when they must judge for themselves whether the Gospel is true, whether accepting a ward calling is always a yes, and whether they are temple worthy. I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth at this time, but I am just a person, doing the best I can to live day-to-day with a smile on my face. If I have said anything, or behaved in such a manner that my associates might question that---I truly apologize. I am just a Mormon, trying to become a Latter-day Saint, and hopefully others are interested in joining me on the journey.



No comments:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy