
I waited in the lobby following church today while the Osmone finished up his class. I noticed there were three young men sitting across from me. The first was a young man wearing nice pants, nice shoes, and a nice shirt. He held a set of scriptures in his hands and was studiously turning pages edged in gold. The young man in the middle was wearing casual pants, casual shoes, and a casual shirt. He held his cell phone in his hands. I passed this young man on the way to the lobby and knew he was looking at photos. He slid his phone open and began to type a text message. He apparently received a reply, as a grin spread across his face. He quickly tapped in a new message. The final young man was wearing casual pants, casual shoes, and a nice shirt. He leaned over his knees, with his head resting on his folded arms. His scriptures sat securely in the seat next to him. I wasn't sure if his head was hung in sleep, or if he was praying.
I remember several years ago, a women's volleyball team was invited to the White House. They gathered for a memorial photo which then became domain for public debate. The women all wore casual skirts and tops, but the debate was in regard to their shoes. They were all wearing summertime 'flip-flops'. Was that TOO casual for an invitation to the White House? It is commonly stated that our actions can be influenced by the manner in which we dress.
I took a second look at the three young men sitting across the lobby from me. I stared at their shoes. The young man to the left must be the most spiritual as he was studying his scriptures and wore the nice shoes. The middle young man was heavily involved with the distractions taking place on his phone. His shoes were the most worn and filthy of the three and I decided he would not be able to lead me to spirituality. The young man on the right was either asleep or praying. He wore casual shoes but they were not as dirty or worn as the young man in the middle. Could I follow him?
If I knew for sure he was praying, and not sleeping--he may be the one to trust. While the first young man looked the part, his shoes did not reflect any distance in seeking the Lord. The last young man wore shoes that were used frequently and showed the distance traveled. Were these his 'best'? His casual pants were pressed Dockers as opposed to the suit slacks worn by the first young man. The only difference between their shirts appeared to be age. While the last young man's shirt was pressed, tucked in, and sleeves buttoned, its material was thin and yellowed. The first young man's shirt was also pressed, and tucked in, but his shirt appeared very new and bright; and he had his sleeves rolled up comfortably on his forearms.
I decided my salvation would be safer if I followed the last young man. Why? His scriptures, although placed on the seat next to him, appeared worn and used. The pages being flipped by the first young man appeared as crisp as his shirt, and as worn as his shoes.
I recognized the young man's head was bowed in prayer, and chose to go find the Osmone. I already knew his shirt is aging-but cared for, his shoes are aging-but worn, and his scriptures no longer shine with crisp edges of gold--but his scriptures are marked and highlighted throughout!
I learn so much at church.
No comments:
Post a Comment