Thursday, August 05, 2010

I KNEW IT WOULD BE BAD BUT...


Utah children will cry themselves to sleep for another night.

Had one of those days that started out wrong and went down hill from there. Panic set in while traveling to the office today, my dad is reported to the police again, and I discovered a terrible summertime accident claimed the lives of very wonderful people!

I knew Kelly as a true advocate for the underdog. She truly believed in the families she worked with and saw a secret side so many teens hide from the world. I never heard another GAL speak with such hope for teens who simply had no luck. In her mind, anything was possible if we could just give them hope. But she was quickly taken while enjoying an adventure with her charming husband.

I think for the first time it really hit me that I am now at an age where obituaries are like year-books. People my age, who experienced life during the same years and yet had such different experiences. How can I be talking with Kelly one day and within weeks she is gone. Not just unavailable, but gone. No more laughter or empathy coming from my friend. It strikes me as aweful!

I will miss you Kelly. And so many, many children will miss your adamant advocacy for their right to be with their family, or to live on their own, or to keep that baby that came as such a surprise to a young adolescent. May your shining example now engrave upon your own children's soul the power of love within a family. God Bless and Keep you--till we meet again!

Deseret News 03Aug2010
MURRAY — It was a tragic day for the friends and family of Joseph and Kelly Glasser on Sunday when the couple drowned while kayaking on the Jordan River.


And some Utah residents who've kept a close eye on recreation on the river say the fatal accident could have been avoided.

Just before 4 p.m. Sunday, the Sandy couple and a friend began kayaking in South Jordan and eventually floated under a bridge near Winchester Street (7200 South) where a 2-foot drop plunges into foamy, circulating water.

After Joseph Glasser, 49, and Kelly Glasser, 51, went over the small waterfall, they became caught in the undertow and were trapped underwater. The couple's friend pulled Joseph Glasser from the water and immediately started CPR.

Murray Water Team Rescue crews that arrived at the scene within minutes and pulled Kelly Glasser from the water. The two were transported to Intermountain Medical Center where they were pronounced dead.

Jeff Salt, executive director of Great Salt Lakekeeper, an organization that has been developing a Water Trail plan that identifies safety hazards along the Jordan River, believes the incident could have been prevented had local governments stepped in with funding to make water recreation along the river safer.
 Salt says he's been trying to raise awareness about several dangerous points along the river for the past 10 years, including the one where the Glassers were trapped.


No comments:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy